Thursday, March 22, 2012

Moisture ***New Interview***


Moisture is an awesome punk band out of New York City. They have awesome live set and shared the stage with some really awesome bands. They are also looking to tour later this year. I got the band to tell their story...

Introduce Yourself...
M. My name is Malcolm Bush, I’m the drummer of Moisture…
P.  The thunder.
C. Cody Egan, bass.
P. And I’m Paul Ridenour, and I play the guitar.


How did the band start?
C. It kinda fell together. I met [Paul] on a donut run when I was drunk at four in the morning, and I was looking for ‘that blonde kid who was looking for a bassist.’
P. Were you looking for me on the donut run, or…
C. No, it was just in general, like, somebody came up to me, like, hey, there’s a blonde kid running around and asking for like a bassist and a drummer, you should talk to him. I was like, “blonde kid, that’s real specific.”
P. I was told that there was a bass player who was really good, and who like, slapped, and played funk. And then later I met Malcolm.
M. I’d been in bands in the past, like garage bands and stuff, and played talent shows and been in battle of the bands and I was just in NJ and wasn’t really doing anything, just outta high school, just kinda getting apartments or living at home or whatever, and I needed a change. So I went to the city, where my sister lived, and she went to the same school as Paul and Cody, and it was just like a loose dream of mine, like, [music] was always the fantasy. So I was like, “I’ll go out there, and find a band, and find some work,” and it kinda just fell together. One night we were hanging out at the South Street Seaport, and I just jokingly approached Paul, and it kinda came up that we were into music, and it turned out that he was looking for a drummer, and I was looking to get my foot in the door just anywhere. So we hung out, and then we landed on a name, and agreed to make it an official project.

How did you come up with the name?
M. It didn’t take a lot of convincing. Paul had a little history with the word ‘moist’. I always said ‘moist’ all the time, and ‘keep it moist.’ And moisture is my humorous kind of mantra, or philosophy on like, balance, and yin and yang. It’s humorous, and dark, and vague, yet very, uh…
P. Sexual.
M. Yeah, and it can be interpreted in a lot of different ways, and just leaves kind of an interesting taste in your mouth. I suggested a couple of other names, like ‘Mouth,’ but then [Moisture] came up and I guess that’s what everyone wanted. And it had a great reaction, with pretty girls. You tell them your band name and they’ll throw up in their mouth a little bit.
C. It’s the swear word you never knew was a swear word.

Who would you say are your influences?
C. Performance wise, I like Foxy Shazam a lot, and you know, musically too. I like the Eels a lot, and the Pixies…
P. In high school, I got really into this like, underground, Bay Area, Mission street scene, shit that had happened before I ever even heard of punk, and I found some records of it and was like, “This is the coolest shit ever! I wish I was here for this!” Bands like Hickey, 50 Million, and Dory Tourette and the Skirtheads… And of course Nirvana and Led Zeppelin and all the standard shit.
M. For me, there’s influences from growing up... I never thought I’d be in a punk band, but it fits, and that’s exactly what I wanna say and get out. So recently, influences… um, really strong Nirvana, both musically, and musicianship-wise, Dave Grohl being one of my favorites; Hickey, like Paul said, is a band he turned me on to, Shellshag, and I love Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, George Harrison, the Velvet Underground…
P. [Laughs] Just name a famous artist, like, “Tom Waits, and I don’t know, Morrissey…”
M. Specifically, definitely the Melvins, and Flipper…
P. Yeah!
C. I’m in a very similar boat to you, Malcolm. I never thought I’d be in a punk band…
P. Haha, I’ve molded you.
C. No, but like, all these bands are now a part of what I listen to and what inspires me.
M. Dead Boys…
P. Dead boys.
M. Dead boys.
P. Scrillex.
M. [Laughs]
C. SQUEEEEEWOMPWOMPWOMP.

What is the punk scene like in New York City?
M. I think it’s… Among our friends, there’s so much love in it. It’s fun. The people who go [to shows] are genuinely enjoying it. The people who are doing it are so grateful to be doing it. Everyone works their fuckin’ asses off; a lot of young kids, real DIY, real committed.  No one’s fitting a mold, no one’s wearing a uniform; it’s just genuine rock’n’roll at it’s purest.

Describe the songwriting process.
C. Paul… [laughs]
P. Um, I write a lot of shit when I’m home alone, and I try to put the pieces together, and tighten the screws as much as I can. I bring it to practice and we’ll all just figure out what works and what doesn’t, and someone will come up with a riff that we’ll throw in. But it’s just riffs and stuff, like, riffs and power chords and bullshit.
C. Personally, I’m much more extroverted when I write. Like, I write a lot better when I’m writing with other people. Like, you [Paul] bring these great riffs that you have written, and it’s just a lot of fun to add, and piece them together, and really find creative things to do as a group, and I really just like working with you guys while writing. It’s a fun experience.
M. As far as me with the song writing, when I write things, which is few and far between at the moment, [Cody laughs] I hear something in my head, work it out, hum it. It kinda comes to me, and I’ll have to hurry to transcribe it, you know, whether I hum it to Paul, or write it down, or something. But it can start with an idea, a sound; sometimes we have a title before we have anything else.
P. Or just like, “Hey! You have a girlfriend, right now… Let’s just write a song about that. We should write a song right now.”
M. Yeah. We’re just open minded, like we realize that it can all hit the cutting room floor later, just get it out there. Work with it. What they end up as is not always what they started as, and we’re totally comfortable with taking criticism and advice, and we don’t have this possessiveness about our contributions to the band. Like if somebody suggests something that’s better, or how to change it… just cause you didn’t write it doesn’t mean you don’t have a say in how it should go. We all contribute to the sound and the energy of the band a lot. It’s a very collaborative effort, and we usually all recognize right away whether it’s--
P. [Whether it’s] moist or not.


What have you released?
P. We have released nothing but we are about to release our first demo, probably on CD-R, that we recorded in New Jersey with a man named Mark Bronzino, of ANS and Kicking Spit. He’s awesome and really a pleasure to work with.

Who are some of the bands we have done shows with?
C. Oh man…
M, C, and P: Out of order and Ritz Riot!
C. Out of Order and Ritz Riot are our two favorites, I think.
P. The Big Ups were awesome, Harasssarah is great. We just played what I think was our best show last night, but we try to think of every show as our best, progressively. We’ve also played with a band called Calamity, and one band (who will remain nameless) that wouldn’t share their equipment after unless we paid them a bunch of money.
C. You know what’s funny? Playing shows is like when you get fucked up, and you go, “Last night, I’ve never gone so hard in my entire life. Last night was crazy.” And after every show we’re like, “Last night was the craziest show!” which is how it should be.

Big venues or little ones?
P. Definitely Madison Square Garden.
C. Yeah, that’s my favorite, too. Fuckin’ love it.
P. We only play big festivals, we don’t do small clubs or houses.
M. Live Aid…
P. Band Aid…
C. Bonnaroo is a little small, you know…
P. The rave scene is really cool for us…. No, but in all seriousness, we have never played a big venue. The question would be, house shows or venue shows, and I would say house shows, because people will come.
M. It’s intimate, and it’s an experience, because everyone is a part of it, it’s like a big fucking punk mob.
P. None of the awkward shit where you get in front of a couple of your friends at a DIY venue and you’re like “I guess we’re supposed to be like, rockstar-esque now, or whatever…” There’s none of that weird--
M. Separation.
P. You’re just kinda like, moshing with everybody.
M. We’re having as much fun as anyone else; I love the house shows.


Have you toured?
P. No. But we may this summer.


Is there a favorite place you like to do shows at?
C. Paul’s house.
P. My house! Except for the aftermath, when the house gets a hangover, and so do I, and I don’t want to clean for days.
M. You need a leaf blower to clean this place up. And a Zamboni.
P. Every time we play a house, we’ll just move out afterwards.
M. Just laminate the floor. No, we need a tarp in here, and then at the end of the night we just roll it in a ball and shake it.
P. Just throw it away.
M. Piss, shit, fuck on it…
P. Yeah. Okay…
M. Blow your nose and just out the door.


Do you see is the future of Moisture?
P. I do see is the future of Moisture a lot. All the time.
M. I do’s sees us with….
C. I do see a future with Moisture. If the question is “Do you?” then yes.
P. We’re gonna… take… the world… by storm? Cause… it’ll get things a little more moist?
C. We’re gonna get everyone a little moist.
P. We’re gonna take the first contract that is put in front of us, and then …
M. And we’ll do anything.
C. I will blow as many people…
M. Cut our hair, suck executives’ wieners, whatever we have to do.
C. Tossin’ salads.
M. Maybe some bad boy collaborations, maybe remixes…
C. The first Moisture dubstep album.


How can people contact the band?
P. Moisturesounds@gmail.com!
C. But we never check that email…
P. I do! Actually every day. Maybe you guys don’t…
C. Well you can send me a message via bottle, just roll up a piece of paper.
P. Messenger pigeons work.
C. Messenger pigeons, word of mouth, um, I actually don’t accept smoke signals. I had a bad incident, where a fire started….
P. Someone sent him some weird smoke....
C. I got way too high… You can send me a small-scale smoke signal. I’ll take that.
M. You can call my probation officer... Just kidding.
P. Hit us up at moisturesounds@gmail.com.
M. Or at facebook.com/moisturesounds .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Donate